There are two cable cars in Barcelona, the Montjuïc Cable Car and the Port Cable Car.
Port Cable Car
The Port Cable Car or aerial tramway was designed for the 1929 Barcelona International Exposition, but was not inaugurated until 1931. The Telefèric del Port crosses Barcelona’s old harbour called Port Vell from Torre Sant Sebastià, located in Barceloneta Beach, to the Miramar Gardens viewpoint in Mount Montjuïc.
During the Spanish Civil War, the cable car was closed and the cables were removed and the towers were used to defend the port. In 1963, the tramway started to operate again until 1995, when the tourist attraction was renovated. Presently, the Teleferic is still one of the most popular rides in Barcelona and offers magnificent views of the city and its harbor.
The touristic ride is 0.8 miles (1.3 km) long and reaches an altitude of 57 m. The journey lasts approximately 10 minutes and visitors will get to see Barcelona and its seaport in all its splendour.
The price of a one-way journey is € 11 (US$ 13.30) and a return ticket is € 16.50 (US$ 19.90).
- 1 January – 28 February: 11 am – 5:30 pm.
- 1 March – 31 May: 10:30 am – 7 pm.
- 1 June – 10 September: 10:30 am – 8 pm.
- 11 September – 29 October: 10:30 am – 7 pm.
- 30 October – 31 December: 11 am – 5:30 pm.
How to get to the Port Cable Car?
- Torre Sant Sebastià: Metro: Barceloneta, line 4. Bus: 17, 39, 45, 64, 57, 59 and 157.
- Torre Jaume I: Closed temporarily.
- Miramar: Buses 50, 100 and 193.
Montjuïc Cable Car
The Monjuïc Cable Car (Telefèric de Montjuïc) was inaugurated in 1970. Another means of transportation was necessary to connect the bottom and summit of Mount Montjuïc. The Cable Car rises a vertical distance of 100 meters to get to the Montjuïc Castle.
Although the views are breath-taking throughout the ride, once you get to the top of Mount Montjuïc, there are several viewpoints where the views are just as good. There are also less expensive ways to get to the summit of the hill.
An adult single ticket costs € 8.40 (US$ 10.10) and a return € 11.43 (US$ 13.80). A child single ticket (4-12 years old) costs € 6.60 (US$ 8) and a return is € 8.28 (US$ 10).
- January to February: 10 am – 6 pm.
- March to May: 10 am – 7 pm.
- June to September: 10 am – 9 pm.
- October: 10 am – 7 pm.
- From November to December: 10 am – 6 pm.