Explore the secrets and stories of Barcelona's Medieval past. The Santa Maria del Mar church is just one of the many incredible sites you'll discover on this unmissable tour.
We'll start our fascinating guided tour in the Plaça de Ramon Berenguer el Gran square, at the foot of the equestrian statue of Ramon Berenguer III. Here we'll discover all about the Roman origins of Barcino, the old town from which the current city of Barcelona grew.
From the Plaça de l'Ángel we'll head to the crossroads between Via Laietana and Calle Argentería. At the end of the latter road, we'll find the Santa Maria del Mar church. This medieval temple gained popularity thanks to Ildefonso Falcones' bestseller “La catedral del mar” (Cathedral of the Sea).
We will continue our journey along Calle de Santa María, discovering the history of the Fossar de les Moreres. This square, literally meaning the grave of the mulberries, pays tribute to those who lost their lives in the Seige of Barcelona in 1714. And a few steps away is the Paseo del Born, an old medieval road comes to an end at the Centro Cultural El Born.
Our next stop will give us a summary of the transition from the medieval period to the Renaissance, as we walk along the palace-lined street Calle Montcada. One of these palaces is the Palau Dalmases, a building where we can appreciate Gothic Catalan architecture, including mythological sculptural details of Neptune. On the same street, we can also admire the architecture of the Picasso Museum, also housed in a palatial building of remarkable beauty.
We'll dedicate the final part of the tour to visit the outside of the Marcús chapel. Thanks to the efforts of wealthy bourgeois local Bernat Marcús in the 7th century, a hospital and cemetery were also founded in this area. We will bring the tour to an end close to the Plaça de la Llana square, almost completing a full circle.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
|Adults||Children under 14 years old|
|Tour in English||
Tour in English
Children under 14 years oldFree
1 hour 30 minutes.
The tour is exclusively in English.
English speaking expert guide.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up until the previous day (12:00 am) if there are still places available.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Plaça de Ramon Berenguer el Gran.