Travel back to the 9th century and delve into the Roman vestiges of Cardona Castle, a medieval jewel very close to Barcelona. On this fantastic trip, you will also visit some fantastic salt mines and taste local tapas and wines!
Cardona and Montserrat Trip
At the scheduled time, we will meet up on Balmes street, where we hop on to the bus and head to the Barcelonan municipality of Cardona. After driving for around for an hour and a half, we will arrive in this historic town which is famous for being home to one of the best-preserved medieval castles in the country. This fortress dates back to 886 and is spectacularly located on top of a rock outcrop that overlooks the town. The magnificent architectural design is a perfect combination of Romanesque and Gothic styles which will transport you into the Middle Ages.
From the castle, you will have unique views of the valley of the river Cardener and the Salino valley, which is the next destination on our trip. Then we'll recharge our batteries with a lunch including cold meats, cheese, salad and a traditional roasted vegetable aperitif accompanied by wines from the region.
We'll then head to the Cardona salt mountain. Covering a huge area of more than 100 hectares, this potassium salt mine is one of the most important in the world, and it is still growing every year! We will descend to almost 300 feet deep to admire the wonderful stalactites and stalagmites of ancient salt and we will hear all about the history of the industrial exploitation of the valley.
Our guided tour then continues to Catalonia's most iconic peak: the Montserrat massif. During the bus ride to the top, we will enjoy panoramic views of the entire mountain. Its rocky needle-shaped chains have captured the imagination of locals and visitors for centuries, giving rise to numerous legends that will be revealed during the visit.
Once in the monastery, we will enter the Royal Basilica to contemplate the Moreneta, patron saint of the Catalans. You will also have your own free time to learn about the history of this temple in an audiovisual hall. Before returning to the bus we will taste four delicious liqueurs made by the monks of the monastery.
We will return to the original starting point at around 6:30 pm.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 25 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Disinfected radio units will be provided, and headphones will be single-use.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children from 4 to 12 years old||Children under 3 years old|
Children from 4 to 12 years oldUS$ 95.10
Children under 3 years oldFree
9 hours 30 minutes.
The activity takes place with a guide that simultaneously speaks in English and other languages.
Transport on airconditioned bus.
English speaking guide.
Entry to Cardona Castle.
White wine, red wine, and.
Visit to the salt mines.
Entry to the audio visual space of Montserrat.
Tasting of four liquors of the monastery.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
If there are still places available, you can book until the previous day (Barcelona local time).
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).
5 Calle Balmes street.